Every leather item owner dreads having their item scratched or badly damaged. Leather items cost an arm and a leg especially leather sofas. It is impossible to avoid getting a scratch here when you have kids, cats or dogs in your home.
But should you come home to a scratch on your favorite leather jacket or an expensive sofa, don’t fret. There are some easy affordable ways that you can use to remove scratches from your beloved leather stuff.
1. Buffing with either Leather Oil or Conditioner:
This method is great for light scratches on your leather items. The circular polishing motion allows some of the colors from your leather item to move to the affected area.
What you will need
- Leather Oil but if you don’t have a conditioner will work just fine
- Soft cloth
- Take a soft cloth or rug and dip it in either leather oil or a conditioner.
- Polish the area with scratches starting from the center of the area going in circular motion as you move slowly towards the edges of the area.
- Let it sit untouched for almost 15 minutes so that the conditioner or the leather oil can sink in
- Once dry, rub off the extra conditioner or oil with a dry soft cloth.
2. Buffing with Vaseline:
This is another great way to get rid of those minor almost-not-there kind of scratches.
What you will need
- A soft cloth or paper towel
- Apply a small amount of Vaseline to the soft cloth or paper towel and rub the affected area in a circular motion from the center as you go outwards.
- Once the scratches have disappeared, let it sit for about 15 minutes
- Then rub off any extra Vaseline
When buffing does not work, re-coloring should be the next consideration. A permanent feint pen also does the magic.
You will require
- Re-coloring balm same color as your leather item
- Leather Oil
- A rug
- First, buff the scratched area with a rug and some oil.
- Apply the color using a soft cloth on the scratched area. Ensure that you apply until the two areas have blended and the scratches are totally not noticeable.
4. Leather Repair Kit:
If everything else fails, the solution then is a leather repair kit. A kit made specifically for the purposes of dealing with both minor stubborn scratches and deep scratches. You can either hire a professional to do this or you can get down to it yourself.
The kit comes with a filler for raising the scratched area to the same level as the unscratched and a coloring product.
There are a number of leather repair kits, just go online and Google on leather repair kit review.
However, taking preventive measures in caring and maintaining your leather sofas, bags, jackets, ottomans, and any other leather item is the best. Keep your leather hydrated by applying leather condition and keep your leather out of direct sun and heat sources.
- Leather Furniture Is An Essential Improvement For Any Home Or Office
- DIY: How To Clean A Leather Handbag