We should invest in our bedroom. After all, this is our retreat after a long day, our haven. It’s where we can relax and meditate. You don’t have to break the bank to have a cozy bedroom. Whether you have a small space or a big and spacious bedroom, you can revamp your area at an affordable price.
You can go ahead and search the net for whatever blog feels appropriate to your DIY bedroom makeover! Here are cheap and simple tips to give your bedroom a new look:
- 1 Clean Your Room:
- 2 Organize Your Products, Cosmetics, and Clothes:
- 3 Clean Those Sheets or Buy a New Set!
- 4 The Floor Matters, Too:
- 5 Change Old Knobs, Hooks, Locks, and Hardware:
- 6 Buy Brand New Lights and Lamps:
- 7 Install a Headboard or Hang an Art Piece:
- 8 Go Green!
- 9 Use Only One Color of Hangers:
- 10 Repaint Your Room:
- 11 Don’t Forget the Details:
Clean Your Room:
It’s free! If you’ve been the busy type, you may find old receipts scattered on your dresser, expired products, clothes you no longer use, trinkets, and knick knacks that are just gathering dust. Some tips when cleaning your room include:
- Throw away things that no longer give value to you.
- Donate items that are still in good condition but you no longer need.
- Pass off items to friends and family that you may feel would better serve them than you.
No matter how you style your room, a messy one will destroy its overall look and feel. Want to know why hotel rooms always have a very comfortable feeling? No unnecessary things are lingering around.
Organize Your Products, Cosmetics, and Clothes:
Bins, bins, and even more bins! Use one color and style of containers, and each one should store one category of products. Clear and transparent drawers give a sleek and polished look and let you see what’s inside. Your motto should be: Everything always has its place. Clothing pieces that are “loose” and “awkward” on hangers (like underwear, socks, ties, scarves) will look neat if you store them in organizers specifically made for them. Other ways you can organize your products, cosmetics, and clothes include:
- Start by decluttering and throwing away expired products and by donating clothing pieces that you haven’t used in the last six (6) months.
- Put your makeup brushes all in one cup holder, mug, or whatever you can find lying around your home that you haven’t necessarily been using anymore.
- If you have boxes that are unused, wrap and decorate these boxes so you can use them to store makeup by kind: blush, foundation, eyeshadows – all in their place.
- Sort and divide your clothes by kind: jackets all in one place, jeans, shirts, blouses, dresses, and so on. Sorting will help have all your clothes in plain sight.
- Maintain the organization system that you have created (so when you get an item, put it back to where it belongs – don’t mix and match again!)
- If you can use the space under your bed, do so. You can keep shoes hidden from sight to minimize clutter.
Clean Those Sheets or Buy a New Set!
Maybe you’ve put off cleaning your sheets in a long time. Now is the time to do it! A fresh, crisp, and clean set of sheets or colourful decorative bedding will significantly change the look of your room – and the feel of it, too. If you haven’t already done so, now could also be the time to take advantage of that ongoing homeware sale. Making a big switch from your all-white set to being more adventurous and going for decorative bedding will totally revamp the look of your room! Buy new sheets to replace your dying, old ones. On this note, too, make sure your set of sheets match the overall theme and color scheme of your bedroom. Mismatched sheets will blotch the look of your room.
The Floor Matters, Too:
If replacing your flooring isn’t on the budget right now, rugs can do just the trick. If your existing carpets are dirty and too old looking, then maybe like your sheets, it’s about time to get new ones as well. A good trick is to use dark-colored rugs for high traffic places like your bedroom door so that dirt isn’t readily visible. For accent rugs, go bright or printed. Other tips when selecting a rug for your bedroom include:
- Study your floor plan and choose the rug that best fits the area that you’re going to fill.
- Focus on the style that suits your bedroom: floral, Persian, classic, geometric, monochromatic. See what your room needs.
- Choose the right material. For bedrooms, rugs made out of light elements are acceptable.
- Most importantly, pick a rug that you can maintain.
Change Old Knobs, Hooks, Locks, and Hardware:
Switching from silver to gold hardware or from gold to rose gold will do wonders. Just make sure that you stick to one hardware color! It’s not the right area for you to mix and match. Cabinet knobs and handles of different styles and materials are available in hardware stores and online, and installing them is as easy as one, two, three! Here are some tips on how to choose the perfect style and colour for your bedroom:
- Always stick to your theme.
- Don’t forget about functionality! Pick the kind of hardware that you’re comfortable using.
- Have the same finish throughout either glossy, nickel, matte, brass, etc.
- Remember the quality. Don’t settle for hardware with decorative purposes only. Make sure your chosen one will last you for years. You’re trying to stay cheap – not to remodel every year.
Buy Brand New Lights and Lamps:
Manufacturers usually come up with new and innovative lights and lamps each season. Having one statement piece will move your room from boring and dull to creative and soothing. (Bonus tip: yellow lights in your bedroom will set the mood for relaxation. Imagine yourself being in a hotel room in the comfort of your own home every night! Here are some tips when choosing the perfect light:
- Go for LED lights. You want to be an eco-warrior, too.
- Dimmer switches are perfect for your bedroom! Here you can control the brightness, which makes your overall ambiance more relaxing.
- Keep your lamps close to your bed – so you can have the convenience of not having to stand up each time you want to switch on (or off) a lamp.
- Make sure the lighting you choose is easy to maintain.
Install a Headboard or Hang an Art Piece:
A headboard can instantly bring elegance into your room. You don’t even have to buy a new bed at all. Hanging up a piece of art or a portrait on top of your headboard will also make your room look well put together.
Add in plants that require little to no sun exposure at all. If you can, however, go for fresh plants. Plastic plants cost more and will also collect dust and dirt. Certain plants can even cleanse and purify the air in your room naturally. Plant baskets have also become quite popular with so many beautiful options.
Use Only One Color of Hangers:
Hang all your clothes in a uniform direction and use only one color for all your hangers. Doing this will instantly reduce eyestrain. Black is a great color option as it neutralizes the various shapes and styles of clothing pieces that you may have.
Repaint Your Room:
Even if this is all you’ll focus on, a fresh new paint color will improve and change the overall look of your room. If you can do it yourself or ask a friend to help you out, then the better! You’ll be able to save more money. Try incorporating in an accent wall with prints or one with a different color. Some tips when choosing the right paint color includes:
- Choose your inspiration and know your theme. Be sure your paint color will match your theme.
- Make sure your paint color will look good when the lighting is either on or off.
- If you’re still confused, go for neutrals.
- Don’t be afraid to use testers first.
Don’t Forget the Details:
Make your small room look bigger by installing a mirror. Increase height by using vertical blinds or curtains. Add in photo frames. Buy an alarm clock that can also serve as a decoration. If you’re going for a boho-chic look, you can put up string lights or fairy lights.
Use these ideas to get started. Take a quick look at your room and see where and how you can apply any of these tips! A brand new place is now at the tip of your hands. Get those creative juices flowing and sleep sound and well tonight.
- 5 Ways To Make A Big Statement In Small Bedroom
- 5 Innovative Ideas To Lend Your Bedroom With More Space