Car accidents are common. The figures are earth-shattering – at least three million crashes every year. With too much at stake, victims must file for a claim, either with their insurance company or that of the other drivers. Many people shy away from hiring professional lawyers because they believe that lawyers are expensive.
Most people do not know that when you speak to a St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer for the first time, it is usually free of cost. Most professional accident lawyers accept their fees after their clients get their claims settled by the insurance companies.
How to File a Car Accident Compensation Claim?
Nonetheless, if you have chosen to go alone and on your own, you need to follow these steps to get a justified claim settled.
- Assess the damage to your car. The first step is to inspect your car to get an estimate of the damage. If you have no experience, get an experienced person to do so.
- Assess your injuries and estimate the same. You will have your medical records and bills to get an estimate of what you have already spent on your treatment. Under this subhead, you need to mention the future expected expenses too. It could be a bit difficult calculating all of this and putting a sum. With an experienced lawyer, this step can become easier and convenient.
- It would help if you also tuned in financial losses resulting from a loss in work.
- The next stage is after filing your claim application. The insurance company will send over their insurance adjusters to assess the damage and make an estimate. Even if the adjusters seem friendly, they are obligated to keep the costs of the insurance company low in their hearts. Therefore, they will try all tricks under the sun to pressurize you to accept and settle for a lower amount than you originally estimated. There will be some amount of negotiation, too, and you need to be extremely careful and cautious.
- If your insurance company is pressurizing you to accept a lower claim amount, you need to put in your demand letter. In this letter, you need to present your side of the story. Tell the insurance company why you deserve a higher value. Ensure to present all medical records, car repair bills, etc., as pieces of evidence.
- Now, the insurance comes with a counter-offer. If not, they will negotiate hard with you. It is time to keep your cool and not panic. If your evidence is in place and you are sure about your claim, stick by it. You may now decide to go to court.
- Many insurance companies will agree to an out-of-court settlement – so, you might want to consider the same. If not, ensure to prepare your case with due diligence. Your records and evidence have to be intact and enough to prove your case. Also, take into account the expenses that you would need to bear additionally.
The Final Word:
Yes, you can get a claim settlement without a lawyer. There are lots of ifs and buts in this, though. With a qualified and licensed St. Petersburg car accident lawyer, you have a better chance to get a fair claim settlement.