How to Handle a Car Accident?
Even though it is best to avoid getting into accidents, you should know what to do once that occurs. Accidents can be messy and quite troublesome if you do not know how to handle them properly, which is why it is important to always consult a lawyer and know the basics at the very least. Lebanon car injury law firm handles all types of accident-related cases. Some of the ways you can handle car accidents in the best way possible are mentioned-below.
Here are How to Handle a Car Accident:
- It is of the utmost importance that you not leave the accident scene no matter how major or minor it is. Running away will put all the blame on you and you would be held accountable for a crime you might not even have done. If you leave someone when they are injured or seriously hurt, you can end up in jail. So, it is best that you stop the car and park it somewhere (if you can) and wait for the ambulance or the police to arrive. But do not leave the crime (accident) scene!
- Check to make sure that everyone involved in the accident is physically alright and does not require medical assistance. If they do, call an ambulance! Even if you do not require immediate care, some injuries or pain comes, later on, get yourself checked.
- Call the police. Avoid saying sorry or taking all the blame on yourself. Only the police get to decide who the main culprit is, so avoid getting involved in any kind of useless argument or apologies. You need to have a police statement or evidence that you got into an accident to claim the insurance. Without a police file complaint, the insurance company will make everything very difficult for you.
- While waiting for the police to arrive, take pictures of the entire accident, make videos. Note down the vehicle numbers, injuries, if there are any, as well as the damages, are done to the cars. When you are being questioned, make sure that you do not lie, exaggerate, or state untrue facts as they could be used against you.
- After you file a complaint, call your lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer then get one as quickly as possible. You should not say or do anything without your lawyer being with you or before talking to your lawyer. Although you should always have a lawyer by your side in case of emergencies as it saves a lot of time and money. You also get to learn so many dos and don’ts about laws. Your lawyer will do all the hard work as well as the dirty work (insurance-related work) for you. The lawyer will be talking to the witnesses, collecting information and evidence, doing all the paperwork, as well as get the best deal out of the insurance agencies.
Although the above-mentioned points are for major accidents, however, they can be used in minor accidents as well up until point 3 or 4. In a minor accident, usually, people do not file a complaint and try to solve the accident within themselves. This saves both the party the lawyer fee, dealing with the insurance claims, the police’s questioning as well as the paperwork. However, it is safe and recommended that you go to the hospital for a regular check-up even if everything is perfectly fine.
- How To Find Best Car Accident Lawyer Near You
- 4 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
- The Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- Florida Car Accident Lawyer: The Ultimate Approach to Winning Car Accident Cases