Should you Replace or Rekey Locks?
Each home or business owner has different requirements for this question.
Have you moved? What types of locks are installed? How old are the locks? Have they meet the security level you want to be installed in your home or office. These are all questions you should ask yourself before making a decision about making a new key or change your locking account completely.
You usually want to rekey locks for your house or car because of burglary, theft or vandalism. You can also rekey your locks if you lose your keys if you feel that too many others have copies. Before you decide if you should re-key or replace your home or business locks, it’s important to know what the lock-re-key is doing once. This is one of the most basic locksmith tasks, but it can be complicated by higher security locks.
Lock the key again to lock the glasses so that each waffle takes place in a different order than before. This is done to keep the same lock and effectively change the keys. The cursor can use the new code lock on the glasses so that the old set of keys does not work with new glasses.
If your door locks are a security class (ANSI) Grade 1 or higher, you should be able to re-enter these unlocked locks.
If you can turn on the lock again, then you do not have to buy any additional hardware that makes it much costlier. Here are some other benefits.
- Preserves the look of the door (no color lines)
- Locks can be tensed with the same locks (convenience)
If your locks are old and weak but fashionable, it can take a lot of time to completely replace the entire locking system. There are a couple of times that it is necessary to go over like:
1. If your lock is broken or other malicious haps:
If some locks’ assembly has spent so much that some locks or keys no longer catch, to ensure the safety it is time to take new locks.
2. Your locks are too old to find parts:
If you have an antique locker and the parts are no longer able to be replaced or re-keyed in the glasses, it is the time to upgrade your existing locks to the new ones. The new locks at this age have a much better level of security as the safety procedures have been upgraded over the years. It’s very difficult to find a locksmith that works with antique locks, and if you encode or repair a premium for a fee.
3. You require a higher level of security for your home or business:
If you have locks installed so that a low-security rating should be in your to-do list, add them at least ANSI 1 level. These locks are harder to choose, drill, or otherwise manipulate. We recommend good lock known companies like Schlage and Kwikset, but there are many good locks on the market. Compare the performance charts of Consumer Reports when you are on the market. You can also ask your local locksmith, as which they install is never a bad choice.
Now you know the benefit of rekeying vs. changing your locks and you made the decision to rekey them, then there are three options.
- Hire a local locksmith Richmond (if you are in Richmond) to come to your home again for rekeying to your locks.
- Remove the locks from the door frame by calling the local locksmith shop or local locksmith and reset them for you.
- DIY – There are many re-key kits, that can be purchased, provide basic guidelines to rekey the locks.
If your locks fall into the category of lock change, there are about the same options, but then you have to first choose then opt new types of locks that you want to install.
- You can hire a handyman or a local locksmith to complete a professional lock change. It is often suggested to hire a professional that you will find from Vancouver, BC locksmith or other trusted source with a review like a swear to have hassle free lock changing procedure.
- You can buy a lock-set online and make out the lock nodes yourself.