The individual design and refinement isn’t present at the production of modern mass costume jewelry anymore. Today such skillful work can be met only in jewelry from precious metals and stones. But up to the 80th years, the same work was performed with regular metal and pastes. That is why girls have today a desire to wear antique engagement rings – because it is always unusual design, quality and identity attracted them. Well and, of course, because these things have some history!
People who search for own style, overstep the bounds of fashionable magazines, they appreciate vintage clothes and accessories. The feeling of originality and own history which is born in themselves by these vintages rose gold engagement rings or any other antique things. They are ready to spend the time and considerable amounts of money to become the owner of a vintage rarity, that is so beautiful and gorgeous.
For a definition of a condition of vintage thing it is accepted to mark out 5 categories:
- Mint (which was not in the use): a thing in perfect tune as in the day of the creation, any traces of carrying are absent (we will notice that in such state the vintage clothes come across quite seldom).
- Near mint (almost not being in the use): only insignificant wear tracks are noticeable.
- Excellent (excellent state): there are typical wear tracks owing to irregular use.
- Very good (very good): the thing can be carried, but there are essential defects (for example, spots or the eaten dirt).
- Good (good): the thing can be carried, but it is impossible to return to an excellent state even after repair or washing.
Another very important parameter is age:
- very first and main criterion: not younger than 20 years also aren’t more senior than 50. The clothes created in the last 15 years are considered to be modern, 50 years — and more senior are antiques. Some fashion designers, however, name “vintage” only clothes created till 60th of the last century, and the things created during later period rank as a retro. Traditionally classification of vintage things is divided into decades.
All about Style:
- the age isn’t the basis of reckoning of a thing to the category of vintage yet. Vintage objects have to be a particular object of art, completely authentic and express fashionable tendencies of its time, for example, vintage diamond engagement rings.
How did it all start? A few history personalities who have an impact on the fashion of jewelry.
The famous American Kenneth Jay Lane was born in the 1932 year in Detroit. This legend of the American world of costume jewelry, and its biggest names. For more than forty-year career he managed to create and creates still jewelry for several generations rich and well-known. Vetches Kenneth Jay Lane was carried by Jacqueline Kennedy, Audre Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Princess Diana, and Nancy Reagan, later Madonna, Nichole Kidman and Sara Jessica Parker, and now the most younger generation of stars – the sister Olsen, Perris and Nikki Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Leyla Gaga and many others also goes to them. Kenneth Lane acted in Andy Warhol’s movie “Screen Tests” about the main people of fashion, went to Truman Capote’s balls, was on friendly terms with the Hollywood actresses and members of royal families, and, of course, thought out for the jewelry. Fascinating detailed the biography with photos you can find and read in the book written by Kenneth Jay Lane “Faking It”.
Kenneth Jay Lane graduated from the University of Michigan and Rhode Island School of Design then began to work as the art director in the American Vogue and the New York division of Christian Dior Shoes. In 1963 he wanted to experiment with own ideas and based brand of unique costume jewelry Kenneth Jay Lane, thus its meteoric career began. The most famous women from around the world became customers. Jacqueline Kennedy ordered the copy of the million necklaces to store the original in the safe, and most to go to Kenneth Jay Lane. Since then for any shop a great honor to sell works of the master. It issues line Luxury haute couture which is on sale inexpensive American shopping centers, such as Saks and Neiman Marcus, and also costume jewelry for the middle class. Because of that huge role Kenneth Lane played in the American fashion, some says that his works were exposed in Metropolitan Museum of Art.
It is enough to see Kenneth Jay Lane jewelry to understand that they are fine and unusual. Let’s cite the designer: “Elegance, luxury, and good taste never get out of fashion”. The appeal of his jewelry, whether it be rings, a necklace or earrings that they are beautiful some baroque beauty such were works of ancient Italian masters. Bracelets in the form of the curtailed feathers, fancy animals, a ring in the form of snakes or octopuses, unusual flower brooches, earrings in the form of ancient gold coins or as bouquets of wildflowers with bugs. Quite so jewelers worked once, the ideas they scooped all the form nature, and they tried to represent it even more impressive. From here at Kenneth Jay of Lane, there are flowers, butterflies and bees on costume jewelry are far brighter than in life, in the fancy color scale. And essentially all jewelry at Kenneth Jay Lane is made of metal, crystals, керамик, pitches, enamels. He doesn’t use either precious metals or stones. Kenneth Lane didn’t become a jeweler. When he is asked why, he repeats: “I don’t want to do things for one million dollars, with invaluable pearls you have no freedom.”