Electric forklifts are some of the most powerful industrial equipment around.
They’re capable of carrying heavy loads quickly and efficiently, something that gas-powered forklifts can’t do.
If you’re curious about how electric forklifts work and what makes them different from other types of warehouse equipment, then this guide will help.
What Are Forklifts?
Forklifts are, for all intents and purposes, miniature semi-trucks. They are used primarily in warehouses and distribution centers to move oversized pallets of goods.
Although they come in various styles and shapes, they can be broken down into two main categories: manual and automated.
Manual forklifts use an operator as their power source, while automated units rely on external power, such as electricity or propane. You may have heard them called scissor lifts or straddle carriers – but whatever you call them, they get goods from point A to point B.
Advantages of Electric Forklifts
- An increasing number of warehouses are switching to electrically powered warehouse equipment to reduce their carbon footprint and make their warehouses more sustainable.
- Electricity is one of the most abundant sources for powering a forklift, meaning you can never be stranded on location without power.
- Even if a warehouse has no power, it can run a generator or solar panels during an emergency.
- Larger companies are investing in electric power because it is cheaper than diesel fuel and other types of fossil fuels.
Types Of Electric Forklift Trucks
When deciding which type of truck to purchase, there are a few options: gas-powered, battery-powered, and electric. Several options within each category can affect your decision-making process.
This guide will focus solely on trucks with an electric power source. You should be aware of the two main types of plug-in hybrids and all-electric (e-trucks).
Where Are They Used
Due to the lack of noise and fossil fuels, battery-powered forklifts are a great option for indoor facilities with lots of foot traffic.
They’re also eco-friendly, so it’s worth considering for your warehouse operations. Plus, some features to consider: an LED bar that indicates the charge left in the battery; many come with air conditioning units; and there’s little maintenance involved in running one.
The upfront costs may be a bit more expensive than a gas-powered lift truck, but depending on your needs (and which aspects are most important), this could be worthwhile.
Five Tips For Buying An Electric Forklift Truck
Whether starting your first warehouse or expanding your current one, you’ll need a reliable partner. That’s where electric forklift trucks come in – they keep any warehouse running. Although finding the perfect truck for your needs can seem daunting, it’s surprisingly easy if you have some guidance.
Here are five tips for buying an electric forklift truck to help guide you on your next purchase:
1) Find Your Need First – Before shopping for any product, you must know what you’re looking for. Knowing exactly how many tons and square feet of space you need will make things much easier when purchasing a new forklift truck.
2) Know Your Budget – You should always have an idea of how much money you want to spend before heading out into the market because this will ensure that you don’t get tempted by other products and end up overspending.
3) Research Brands – Not all brands are created equal, and depending on what type of work you do with your lift truck (or other equipment), this is especially true with forklifts.
4) Buy The Right Truck For The Job – Some people assume that just one truck does everything, but there are different types of electric forklift trucks designed for specific purposes.
5) Compare Options In Person – Buying an electric forklift truck online isn’t the best idea because there are so many features that you won’t know until you test them out. Make sure to go to a showroom or dealer near you to check each option side-by-side.
Whether you are in charge of warehousing for your company or you operate a warehouse for someone else, having an electric forklift at your disposal will benefit everyone. These devices are typically used in warehouses as they provide increased safety and productivity when transporting items around the facility.