There are many reasons that truck driving accidents happen, and all can be very dangerous. As a driver in a passenger car, you must be very careful around truck drivers because they can’t always see you and where you are. It is also very difficult for them to stop quickly, even when they are watching closely.
If you are a truck driver or a driver of a passenger car, you know that accidents between these two vehicles happen. In the event that it happens, the services of a truck accident attorney are very much needed. To rule out differences between these 2, you will need to be able to have the right type of attorney to do the job correctly.
What To Know
Because big rigs and other commercial trucks can be larger and more difficult to drive, there are things that can happen that don’t happen with passenger cars. They need more room to turn, smaller roads are hard to manipulate, and they are more difficult to stop quickly.
Because of these things, they are more likely to have accidents if they are not careful. Learn here about the difficulties that can happen with big rigs: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/the-hidden-dangers-of-big-trucks/. There are other things that can cause accidents with these big trucks, and they could be caused by the truck driver or the driver of the passenger cars.
- Inadequate Training – Sometimes the truck driver hasn’t had all the training that they need and that can cause accidents. They haven’t learned all the driving techniques, safety techniques, and defensive driving. If they haven’t learned all this, they are more likely to not be able to drive safely.
- Fatigue or Exhaustion – Truck drivers have tough schedules set forth by trucking companies and they are expected to be places quickly to make the company money. Sometimes this causes the truck driver to have to drive for too many hours at a time. Some trucking companies even expect the drivers to speed to get to places in time, as well as get fewer hours of sleep. They even pay their drivers more money if they can make more deliveries in shorter amounts of time.
Passenger Car Drivers
Sometimes the accident is caused by the passenger cars because they don’t realize how big the truck really is. They also don’t realize that trucks don’t operate the same as passenger cars and that this can cause difficulties. See here for some defensive driver hints when you are dealing with big rigs. You can learn how to be more careful around them.
- Disabled Vehicles – Sometimes passenger vehicles become disabled and must go to the side of the road. If the cars don’t get completely off the road, it can cause problems for other vehicles on the road. This can be especially bad for truck drivers who have vehicles that are bigger and harder to drive. If a passenger car is only partially off the road, a truck driver can easily hit it.
- Blind Spots – Truck drivers have bigger blind spots than passenger cars and sometimes passenger cars drive in those spots. If that happens, the truck driver can’t see them and they may make moves that can cause an accident.
- Driving Between Big Rigs – Sometimes passenger cars get into a hurry and decide that the best place for them to be is between two big rigs. This can be very dangerous because it makes it difficult for the truck drivers to see them and if there is a reason to stop suddenly, the passenger car will get caught between the rigs.
- Fast Maneuvers – Cars will sometimes make fast maneuvers like changing lanes quickly in front of the trucks. This means that truck drivers can’t stop in time to avoid accidents. The smaller cars don’t realize that these big rigs can’t stop quickly.
- Moving into Traffic – Passenger cars don’t always accelerate quickly enough to move into traffic from the shoulder or from the on-ramps. If they move in front of a big rig, this could cause problems and the car could get hit.
- Right Turns – Car drivers don’t always realize that big trucks need more room to make right turns and they move into the space that the truck driver needs to turn in. If the truck driver doesn’t see the car in time, this could cause an accident.
- Passing too Close – If a passenger car gets too close to a big rig while trying to pass them. They don’t expect the turbulence or crosswinds that happen and they can get blown off the road or into oncoming traffic.
- Left Turns – If the car is making a left turn in front of the big rig and don’t realize how fast they are going, it can cause an accident. They forget that the big rigs can’t stop quickly, and it is also difficult for them to slow down quickly.
- Trucks Merging – Passenger cars will often fail to speed up or slow down when trucks are merging, and they can get hit when that happens.
When to Consult an Attorney
You will want to consult an attorney as soon as you can after you have alerted the authorities, especially if you are injured. You need to handle things differently than if you have an accident with another car. Trucking companies can afford to make accidents and victims disappear with a little money. You have to be careful, especially if you have extensive injuries because the costs may end up being more than they are offering.
You will need to consult a truck accident attorney to make sure that you are compensated for all your medical expenses, your lost wages, and your pain and suffering. There may also be other expenses that are caused by the accident and you want to be sure that you are compensated for that.
There are many reasons that accidents happen between passenger cars and big trucks. It doesn’t really matter what the cause is if you are injured and can’t work. You will want to be compensated for this, so you will want to call a truck accident attorney to help you get what you deserve.
Leave a Reply