If you are a man that loves taking care of their cars, gadgets, and hobbies more than you take care of yourself, you are not alone. According to leading medical professionals, the average man suffers from-
- Lack of awareness, information, and education on health issues
- Has unhealthy daily work habits that are long and arduous
- Questionable personal lifestyle tastes and preferences
Doctors are also of the opinion that a man is more likely to smoke tobacco and drink alcohol. Additionally, they are far more prone to making dubious decisions and avoid the doctor as much as possible.
This is why most men tend to stare at a serious health complication the first time. They keep ignoring the signs and symptoms for a very long time before they seek medical consultation.
In this article, we are going to look at the top health concerns for men in 2021. Additionally, we will also shed light on some reasons why men avoid taking care of their health and seeing a medical professional. If you wish to know more, there are numerous great resources available, such as this article.
- 1 List of 5 Major Health Concerns and Issues for Men in 2021
- 2 Why do most Men Avoid Taking Care of their Health and Seeing a Doctor?
- 3 The Final Word
List of 5 Major Health Concerns and Issues for Men in 2021
1. Respiratory Illnesses including Lung Cancer-
An innocent cough that starts getting more common, frequent, and repetitive can be your body telling you to stop smoking and see a doctor. What starts as an innocent respiratory concern can quickly spiral into COPD, Lung Cancers, and Bronchitis.
According to medical experts, everyone should try to give up smoking. People who have been smoking for more than a decade should get CT scans done once every six months. Smoking is bad for your health and affects your lungs in the worst manner possible.
2. Heart Diseases, Blockages, and Strokes-
One of the major causes of heart illnesses in men is poor lifestyle choices. As men, we think that we are tough to live on fast food, drink every other night, and smoke a pack of cigarettes every day. All this can slowly start eating away at your heart health.
If data is to believe, one in three adult American males suffers from some form of heart disease. Many mistake pains emanating from the chest as being because of gas build-up or stretched muscles and ligaments in the shoulder.
3. Mental Health Issues- Anxiety, Stresses, and Depression-
According to studies, six million American males over the age of 18 suffer from mental health problems. Within this six million, a sizable section also develops suicidal thoughts. Being taboo, men are less likely than women to come up and take help for their mental health.
They keep suppressing anxiety, stresses, and worries up until the point that it becomes so pent up that suicide starts looking like the only option. Most experts and help advocacy groups are running strong campaigns to help men with mental issues discuss and talk about it.
4. Development of Type 2 Diabetes-
Most doctors agree that diabetes is a lifestyle illness. They say that it is the cumulative result of several factors. This includes- smoking, drinking, less sleep, overthinking, an unhealthy reliance on junk food, and so on. All these together can lead to rising blood sugar levels.
Doctors say that rising sugar levels can cause damage to other organs of the body. For example, they can affect kidney functions, heart complications, lower sexual libido, etc. This is why maintaining blood sugar levels with regular monitoring, medicines, and insulin is recommended.
5. Sexual Diseases and Illnesses-
If data is to be believed, men account for 76% of all HIV-AIDS cases in America. A gay man who has sex with other men is less likely to use contraceptives as compared to gay women. Additionally, men also have a higher rate of contracting STDs than women.
In the last few years, reports also suggest that sexual illnesses like erectile dysfunction and low sperm count are affecting a lot of men. This is partly because of poor mental health and partly because of the fallout of a disease like Diabetes.
There is a growing demand for male enhancement supplements in the industry. A lot of men have been able to overcome emotional and psychological issues after they have been able to increase the size of their penises. This non-surgical procedure such as the use of Proextender has also prevented dangers that are routinely associated with such surgeries.
Why do most Men Avoid Taking Care of their Health and Seeing a Doctor?
In this section, we will try to list down some of the major reasons why men avoid seeing a doctor-
- One of the major reasons men avoid going to the doctor is ‘fear’. They fear that if they check in with a doctor, they might hear some bad news or outcome. Women are better at hearing bad news and then taking constructive steps towards addressing it.
- A lot of doctors have also pointed to something known as the ‘superhero syndrome’. Men want to always think of themselves as being the strongest. Illnesses and diseases are often termed as weaknesses and no one wants to appear weak.
- Lastly, men do not like being vulnerable. When it comes to illnesses, they do not want to feel they need someone to take care of themselves, give them medicines and feed them throughout the day. Vulnerability is something that no man wants to feel.
- Then there are taboo topics like poor sexual health or mental health complications. Men do not want to exhibit weakness that is truly termed as being patriarchal. This prohibits them from talking about these issues and ultimately leads to poor effects.
The Final Word
A lot of doctors have gone on record to say that even when men come in for a diagnosis, they are likely to hide or withhold crucial pieces of information. They always want to give the impression that everything is alright and that they do not need any extra medical attention.
All these faulty sentiments and feelings are responsible for illnesses breeding themselves in their body to dangerous levels. This leads to major crashes and life-threatening situations. In this article, we have tried to list down some of the major health issues men suffer from in 2021.
If you would want us to elaborate on any of the points in the article, let us know in the comments section below.